Albumin pH

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Miichawl

Albumin pH

Post by Miichawl »

Are there any simple, cheap solutions that can be used to alter albumin ph levels? I will be using egg white as my source of albumin.
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Albumin pH

Post by 17eugenekim »

Vinegar is a commonly used acid; the main component is acetic acid and a solution of vinegar should have a pH of around 4~5, if I'm not mistaken. You could also use lemon juice or other citrus juices. This will help lower the pH.

To raise the pH, baking soda is another common substance; the chemical compound is sodium bicarbonate. Most soaps and cleaning materials act as bases, including bleach (of course, be careful when handling).

Whatever you do, it would be helpful to use pH strip paper to confirm what you've done to your albumin. Hope that helps!
Miichawl

Albumin Denaturation

Post by Miichawl »

Hi, I know this a very specific question, but does anyone know if albumin, which has a pH level of 7.4 would denature faster from pH changes if it was more alkaline or acidic?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”