HELP:Dealing with Diabetes Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bahelan23

Re: HELP:Dealing with Diabetes Project

Post by bahelan23 »

Hi,
Our pump finally worked! I guess the issue was replacing the MOSFET. if possible on this page you should how to discharge before handing that MOSFET. I think that was our problem. Also, we might have touched the MOSFET where we should not.

So, what are we essentially testing in this project. Should we record results based on what happens when the pump is placed in different solutions. What should we record when we make all the three of the solutions. I guess I would like to know what are essentially the results, leading up to the conclusion
LeungWilley
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by LeungWilley »

Congrats on getting the circuit and the pump working! I will pass your suggestion along regarding ESD.

In regards to the other part of your question, the main thing you are testing in this project is the engineering design method (or in my thinking, how can you make the gadget work better?) If you refer to step 18 and 19 of the procedure, there's a good list of questions for you to explore.

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure

Willey
bahelan23

Post by bahelan23 »

Thank you so much for all your help!

-Bahelan23
bahelan23

Post by bahelan23 »

Hi,
I was wondering for this project(Dealing with diabetes) why we used baking soda and vinegar to represent high and low blood sugar levels?
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

HI bahelan23,
This is just my opinion, the main reason for using baking soda and vinegar for this experiment is that the chemical reaction is representative of the reaction between insulin and blood sugar. It is much easier to get these materials and, overall, helps illustrate the principles involved in designing an Artificial Pancreas.

Hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any additional questions.
Good Luck!
Willey
bahelan23

Post by bahelan23 »

HI,
I was just wondering that is there a similarity in ph for vinegar and low glucose levels. And is there a similarly of baking soda and high glucose levels.
LeungWilley
Former Expert

Post by LeungWilley »

Hi,
Glucose have a neutral pH and is not an acid or base. It is not affected by the high / low concentration.

Here's a resource for some additional reading:
https://sciencing.com/ph-sugar-solution-6077753.html

Good Luck!
Willey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”