Earthquake shake

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CarterC07

Earthquake shake

Post by CarterC07 »

Hi. I am doing the Sweet and Sticky Earthquake Shake experiment for my project but when we have tested the houses they don't fall apart. Help!

[Project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... #procedure]
RicaC
Former Student Expert

Re: Earthquake shake

Post by RicaC »

Dear CarterC07,

I recommend reading over the procedure of the project guide to see if you missed any steps. If you still have trouble after reading the procedure, please let me know.

RicaC
kbannam
Former Student Expert

Post by kbannam »

Hi CarterC07,

I read over the procedure, and under the section "Testing Your Shake Houses", step 3b says to shake the box very rapidly. Perhaps you may not have been shaking the box hard enough? Good luck and I hope this helps.

-kbannam
EmmaGriffiths
Student Expert

Post by EmmaGriffiths »

Hey there,

The above experts have some really good advice! I also read over the procedure and began to brainstorm how things may have gone wrong. Perhaps...

You used too much peanut butter and made the houses too strong (although it is just peanut butter, it can be quite sticky. Think of having a spoon of peanut butter in your mouth... it's strong enough to stick to your tongue)
You have unusually strong sugar cubes (this could be because of their density, where they have been stored, or brand)
The game box was not large enough to accommodate your tray

Remember not to give up! This is a fun project and I think you will enjoy your experience.

Emma

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”