Cymatics home project idea possible?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ChemistB

Cymatics home project idea possible?

Post by ChemistB »

I have been fascinated with Cymatics from the moment i discovered it. To get to the point: I’ve wanted to to build a Cymatics kit that will allow me to play music (not just frequencies on a tone generator), but to play the songs that have impacted my life the most and capture the images of their vibration patterns at certain points in the song for art. I thought this was impossible after researching it, with keyword searching being a major disadvantage (i.e. music, songs: always gave me the tone generator or classical music). Then i watched a TEDTalks that showed a visual from a Pink Floyd song! My dreams have been reignited and I’m shaking with excitement! How is this possible? Does it have to be with water? And not the Chladni plate with sand? Can anyone tell me how to find a tutorial or guide on how to build or buy a kit that will do this? I’m sure the process of capturing the images is a whole other photography question but that’s not important right now. I’m so ecstatic to see my most beloved songs scientifically transformed into visual representations! Thank you so much in advance! You’ll make this science hobbyist the happiest girl in the world if you can help me!!

Sincerely,
ChemistB
-Beth-
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Cymatics home project idea possible?

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Beth,

It is fun to "hear" your enthusiasm for cymatics! Unfortunately, the Ask the Expert Forums are for students in grade K-12 (and their parents and teachers) who are working on hands-on science projects. You are welcome to search the site for information on cymatics but the experts are already busy helping the students.

Here's a link to a thread regarding cymatics. It contains lots of links which might be helpful.

viewtopic.php?t=6660
ChemistB

Re: Cymatics home project idea possible?

Post by ChemistB »

I’m sorry for butting in where bright young minds are getting help learning their school work. Thank you for the leads! Love the site ❤️

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”