SimPandemic

Use this forum to discuss what you explored with SimPandemic. Share your ideas about possible outcomes.

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

msri300

SimPandemic

Post by msri300 »

Hi, I just had a quick question about your SimPandemic tool. I know that isn't Life, Earth, or Social Sciences, but I didn't know where else to go. In the SimPandemic stimulator, does it automatically assume that getting infected and recovering means that you are immune? Thanks.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: SimPandemic

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - The duration of immunity is a variable you can customize using SimPandemic. If you are using a simulation that is already in place and view the settings, you will also be able to see the duration that has been entered as a default for the simulation.

For more information, see the FAQ: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/simpandemic/faq#toc-35

Does that help?

Amy
Science Buddies
msri300

Post by msri300 »

So do they get their immunity from getting infected and recovering? Because I set the immunity at the start to 0% for all groups, but somehow the number of people immune shoots up as the stimulation continues.
AmyCowen
Site Admin

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - The "duration of immunity" is a setting in the "disease characteristics" portion. Are you setting that to 0? If you want to assume that getting infected provides zero immunity, that is where you would set it. Then save the settings and re-run the simulation.

Here's the definition of Duration of Immunity from the FAQ linked above:
What is the Duration of natural immunity (years)?
After contracting some diseases, there is a period of time during which an individual cannot be re-infected. Enter this time period into the Duration of natural immunity. If a disease does not confer immunity, enter zero. If a disease provides lifetime immunity, enter 100 years.
Whatever setting you have there will impact how many people are counted as immune (and for how long) as the simulation runs.

Amy
Science Buddies
msri300

Post by msri300 »

I understand now. Thank you so much!
AmyCowen
Site Admin

Post by AmyCowen »

You are welcome! I hope things go well with your exploration or project.

Amy
Science Buddies
Jeannioyd

Post by Jeannioyd »

Good post

Return to “General Discussion”