What Do Different Baking Ingredients Do

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

yetaoooo

What Do Different Baking Ingredients Do

Post by yetaoooo »

Hi!
I’ve chosen the topic “What Do Different Baking Ingredients Do?” where I will remove different ingredients from a simple baking recipe to see why each ingredient is needed. For my science fair project but I need to measure something in my experiment using numbers with a tool. Do you have any suggestions about what I could measure in this experiment?
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: What Do Different Baking Ingredients Do

Post by audreyln »

Hello,

This sounds like a fun project! To measuring something quantitatively (using numbers with a tool) you'll have to pick a quality of your cookies you can measure. Examples might be height, width or color (this last one requires special software but you can find details by searching this forum). Unfortunately taste (my favorite cookie quality) is qualitative and won't meet your requirement.

Here are some similar questions and answers related to measuring the height of muffins while changing the ingredients.
viewtopic.php?t=7361
viewtopic.php?t=12370

If you are measuring the height or width of your cookies be sure to start with the same sized ball of dough either by using a scale to weigh the balls or a level scoop each time. The size of the balls should be a controlled variable.

Good luck!

Audrey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”