What could I use to mimic a kidney and kidney stones for my science project?

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

j6roblox

What could I use to mimic a kidney and kidney stones for my science project?

Post by j6roblox »

Hello, I would like to do a science project on how roller coasters can help pass kidney stones. I want to test whether outside forces such as those experienced on roller coasters can move kidney stones. My problem is that I need to create some type of model of a kidney and ureter, the anatomic tube that connects the kidney to the bladder. Other studies have built a 3-D model with a 3-D printer but I do not have access to this kind of equipment. I am only in fourth grade. Can you suggest materials that I could use to build this model at home?
BFfriend

Re: What could I use to mimic a kidney and kidney stones for my science project?

Post by BFfriend »

you could use a small chunk of granola for the kidney stone. I searched up pictures online, and they all look like chunks of granola.
Hannanm22

Re: What could I use to mimic a kidney and kidney stones for my science project?

Post by Hannanm22 »

Hello there,

I think it would be fun to use small chunks of granola or just a piece of rice since kidney stones are so small. I think you could also use a pebble if you’re looking for something a little bit bigger, just be careful and don’t hurt yourself. Here is the link to an article that shows more detailed measurements and information on kidney stones: https://www.emedicinehealth.com/kidney_ ... cle_em.htm.

I hope this helps! :D

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”