measuring the freshness of food

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Anshk

measuring the freshness of food

Post by Anshk »

Hello! Me and my friend need a way to measure the freshness of food for our science project. Its about finding which preservative is best for keeping food fresh. The only way I figured we could do this is by looking at food with a microscope. Is there any other way to do this because we don't have access to or know how to use microscopes.
Noorakhat
Student Expert

Re: measuring the freshness of food

Post by Noorakhat »

Hello! This sounds like an interesting project! Do you have preservatives with you that you are placing on your food? What are your independent and dependent variables and your control? What kind of food are you using? If for example, you are using apples and have food preservatives x,y, and z, you can lay 3 apples out and use the preservatives on the apples and wait a certain amount of days and record your results. I hope this proves helpful to you and please let me know if you have any other questions!

Here is a link from Science Buddies on how to conduct an experiment!: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... experiment
Anshk

Re: measuring the freshness of food

Post by Anshk »

Thank you for replying! I just have a question. Should I apply the preservatives to the food every week? I think I should but I feel like it might screw my results.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”