Question about How Much Fat is in Your Food? activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

caetlynK

Question about How Much Fat is in Your Food? activity

Post by caetlynK »

I am trying to test fat content of different foods and compare foods Non GMO certified with foods that are made by Bio engineering. I am using acetone to test the foods. Can anyone tell me if when testing veggie burgers such as beyond burger, should I cook the burger first?

Also I am trying to determine if Certain foods contain GMO and many are not labeled at the store. Does anyone know how to verify this?

Thank you.

-------------------------------------
Leave this to help the Experts:
The activity can be viewed at: How Much Fat is in Your Food?
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Question about How Much Fat is in Your Food? activity

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi caetlynk,

Thank you for your questions!

First, I would suggest cooking the beyond/veggie burger, as this is how people generally eat it. If you don't want to cook it fully, thawing it or heating it up are alternatives.

Second, when it comes to looking for non-GMO foods, you want to pay attention to their ingredients. If a product is labeled as non-GMO or organic, you can automatically assume it is non-GMO. However, if not labeled, you want to look for foods that do not contain canola, corn, sugar, or soy or are not made with any ingredients derived from these products. If they do not contain these, it is generally safe to consider these foods as non-GMO.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out on this forum should you have any more questions/concerns.

--Brandi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”