Biology

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

50151387951d4e04861d4608ce2eb4bd

Biology

Post by 50151387951d4e04861d4608ce2eb4bd »

Me and my friends are doing project for graduating. We decided to extract beta carotene from carrot to inhibit the pathogenicity of Agrobacterium tumefaciens in cotyledons.At first we try to powder carrot then use ethanol to separate water and oil in carrot then ethanol will evaporate now we have layer of oil and water so we use separatory funnel to separate water and oil then we use petroleum ether to extract beta carotene from oil but we can't find way to extract petroleum ether from beta carotene we also think about using acetone and hexane but ends up the same way as petroleum ether now we are finding way to extract beta carotene that won't kill our plants and easy to separate beta carotene from solvent but we didn't found the way yet. We have 3 weeks before complete grade 11 and due to covid 19 problem we can go to high school laboratory 2 days a week we decided to use these six days for doing an experiment and finish a document and research in other days so we have 3 weeks to finish an experiment and we want you guys to guide us. By the way this problem strarted this evening because our school closed because of covid 19 problem until yesterday so we couldn't do an experiment and we just encountered this problem and talk to our mentor teacher this evenning and now we are really panic LOL.
PS.
My grammar could be messed up because my country doesn't use English as a primary language.So I'm really sorry if you guys don't understand this post.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”