Microbial Fuel Cell Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

frosted_cupcake123

Microbial Fuel Cell Project

Post by frosted_cupcake123 »

Hello! I am doing an experiment with Microbial Fuel Cells. This is the project I am doing: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... cell-urine

I already assembled both microbial fuel cells once, and left it there for around 10 days. I didn't see anything happening. The LED wasn't blinking. The fuel cell was in all of the right conditions. It was left undisturbed, at the right temperature. For my soil, I used dirt from a near by house construction site. When I was done sifting the soil, it was very very fine, and there were no rocks or particles at all. Because there was no activity, I dissembled the microbial fuel cells and am planning to reassemble them again. Could anyone please give some recommendations on where to get soil? It has to be organic soil, with nothing to aerate it like vermiculite, perlite or peat moss.

If I were to get my soil from outside, do you know if it would be ok if there was a little mulch or sticks or something like that? Because if I get it from my garden, it will extremely difficult to remove all sticks, rocks, etc.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”