Need feedback on demonstration to educate kids on bacteria :)

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Saj1605

Need feedback on demonstration to educate kids on bacteria :)

Post by Saj1605 »

Hi all, I am new here so any advice and feedback is always appreciated!
I have planned a demonstration to teach Grade 6-8 about the spread of bacteria.
This demonstration would involve are completely safe, hypoallergenic and none toxic hand gel known as "Glo Germ". The Glo Germ is impossible to see under normal light, however, under the presence of safety UV torch, the gel is brightly highlighted.
I plan on using this gel and the UV light to portray how effortlessly bacteria can spread from student to student and also onto surfaces.
To take this one step further, I will show that the gel will only fully disappear if it is thoroughly washed off with soap, showing the importance of hygiene to the young students.

I would like to invite you to provide any feedbacks (good and bad) and any advice you may have for me to make this even better!
All your comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time!
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Need feedback on demonstration to educate kids on bacteria :)

Post by 17eugenekim »

Please note that this forum is targeted for those needing help with science fair projects!

That said, I think this is a great classroom demonstration. I did find this worksheet online that also uses Glo-Germ, and outlines a detailed, extended procedure for how you can educate your students: https://apps.web.maine.gov/dhhs/mecdc/i ... tivity.pdf

A few extension ideas from that sheet that I want to highlight are
1) Using a greeter (or some object) with Glo-Germ without students' knowledge, and then revealing it later. This could illustrate how they can spread it unwittingly, and without ever even contacting the original person/object. I see a potential downside in accidentally getting Glo-Germ all over the place in unwanted places, but otherwise effective.
2) Letting them use their "usual" handwashing first, and then re-lighting the Glo-Germ on their hands to illustrate the difference between effective and ineffective handwashing.

I don't know what pandemic protocols you are following at the moment, so I don't know how that might interfere with the logistics of the demonstration, but I hope that helps.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”