Catalase activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

manasa24

Catalase activity

Post by manasa24 »

Hi, I am doing an Extended Essay project. My experiment was on measuring the catalase activity of cow (bovine), pig (sus scrofa)and chicken (Gallus Gallus). The results to this is that cow had high catalase activity, pig had 2nd fast activity and 3rd was chicken. But I don't exactly have an answer why it's the case. I have been trying to research on all sorts of areas but still couldn't find an answer. I researched on DNA sequences and comparison of them, active sites and everything however I am not able to find an answer to support my results. If anyone could help me with this, it will be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Manasa
koneill18
Expert

Re: Catalase activity

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

I found a link to an older thread on Science Buddies where another student had a similar question as you. Maybe the ideas suggested by the experts on that forum might be helpful to you too!
viewtopic.php?t=10774
manasa24

Post by manasa24 »

Thank you Koneill, I have checked that few weeks back and tried to research but couldn’t find any proper research on it.
manasa24

Post by manasa24 »

I found the weight of catalase to be more for pig than cow and cow had same number as chicken. This made my hypothesis weaken so I was pretty confused. In my thinking cow should have more for fast activity but in reality it doesn’t and has same as chicken. Also the version of catalase is CAT heme containing for all eukaryotes. So couldn’t find any difference on it either :(
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

Hello,

I tried doing some more research on it as well, but I couldn't find much either. It's possible that the research needed to explain your findings just hasn't been done yet! In that case, I think it's totally fine to make an educated guess on what you think the explanation could be based on what is currently known about catalases and how they work. For example, you can discuss differences in the amount of reactive oxygen species produced in each animal and how that might relate to catalase activity. Differences in oxygen consumption between the different animals may affect their catalase activity as well. If you find research that conflicts with your data, it's completely fine to report that too. It's very normal for scientists to end up with data that's contradictory to data that other scientists have collected. A lot of variability in data can be due to the way the experiments were performed. You can think about how your specific experimental conditions could have influenced your results. Catalase activity is also different in different organs (liver, heart, etc.) so that might be another factor to consider.
manasa24

Post by manasa24 »

Thank you very much Koneill for your help. I will try upon it and let you know if I have any question or got stuck in between anything. Once again thank you.
17eugenekim
Expert
Project Question: To assist others in the AAE forums
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by 17eugenekim »

Hi Manasa,

Koneill has covered a lot of good ground here, I just wanted to drop this link to a scientist's blog response to a very similar question from several years ago. He highlights a few key points that may help guide your further research. Click the links to find the original question + an FAQ resource. http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/20 ... .Bc.r.html

As he mentions, there's bound to be implications based on your experimental process to piece this together. Consider things like: What were you measuring to determine catalase activity? Where did these samples come from, and how did you do the statistics?

Best of luck.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”