Astronomy "Using Kepler Space Telescope Data to Identify an Exoplanet"

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jmarti66670607

Astronomy "Using Kepler Space Telescope Data to Identify an Exoplanet"

Post by jmarti66670607 »

Hello, I am looking into the project "Using Kepler Space Telescope Data to Identify an Exoplanet" and I have a few questions. I am unsure on what we are testing or building for this experiment. Advice or guidance on what direction I should be headed on for this science fair project would be appreciated! Thank You!
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Astronomy "Using Kepler Space Telescope Data to Identify an Exoplanet"

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi - That project (https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -exoplanet) is an "Abbreviated Project Idea" at Science Buddies. If you look at the note in the gray box near the top, it explains that for this type of project, a basic idea or set of information is provided, but the project does not contain an experimental procedure. You would need to design/develop your own. In this case, you would be designing a project that uses the online data set.
Kepler's data is available free online, and you can use it to identify stars with exoplanets and calculate the basic parameters for the exoplanets (orbital characteristics, size).
If you are looking for a project with more guidance or a more defined objective, you want to look at projects that do not have a * at the end of the title.

You can find related projects here:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... /astronomy
(You can use the filters on the side to filter by difficulty/grade level.)

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”