Help thinking of an idea on Homeostasis

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Hopper0810

Help thinking of an idea on Homeostasis

Post by Hopper0810 »

Hello,
I was wondering if I could have some help trying to think of 9th grade level homeostasis lab that a whole class could participate in. I'm trying to think of this idea because right now my school is using a goldfish lab, that makes me feel really bad for the goldfish, to demonstrate how homeostasis happens within organisms. My original idea was to have the temperature of the room at three different temperatures, one on each being 54F 70F and 86F. You would spend 15 minutes in each of the rooms at the different temperatures so your body, specifically heart rate and body temperature, could become accustomed to the temperature of the room. Then you would take your temperature and bpm rate and see how they changed in each different area. Now the school said they would be willing to change the goldfish lab idea if a good idea is to be presented, but, this idea could not work as they apparently don't have control over their thermostats. Anyways I was hoping that someone might have an idea which might work not involving goldfish, even if its just a thought, I'll happy take what you got. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this,
Hopper
brandimiller610
Expert
Project Question: Ask an Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Help thinking of an idea on Homeostasis

Post by brandimiller610 »

Hi Hopper,

Your idea about temperature and heart rate is good. However, if you want to include an external factor other than temperature, you could see how heart rate or blood pressure change based on stimuli such as sounds. How does the heart rate or blood pressure change if people are suddenly exposed to a loud noise? How does the volume of the stimuli affect heart and blood pressure measures? These are just a few examples, but they would be good for seeing how homeostasis is regulated with using goldfish or changing the temperature.

Hope this helps!
Let us know if you have any additional questions or thoughts!
--Brandi

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”