Remineralization of teeth

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

ilzepi

Remineralization of teeth

Post by ilzepi »

Goodday,
I am a Grade 9 Learner from Namibia, busy to plan my science fair project - Remineralization of teeth. Previously I have done a project on Demineralization of teeth through different Cooldrinks. In this study, Apple juice caused the worst demineralization.
In my new study, Apple juice will be used as Demineralization agent. All test will be done on distracted human teeth collected by the dentist.
I will then try to remineralize teeth with:
Distilled water - Control and dissolving agent
Sodium Fluoride (Zymafluor tablets - crushed and dissolved)
Calcium hydroxide
Sodium bicarbonate
Magnesium sulphate
The availability of ingredients is a problem, and all this chemical is readily available. I would also like to combine this ingredients to see if the effect of remineralization with be greater if chemicals is combine.
My problem is to decide which combinations to use and if they are safe to use if added together?
MgSO4 (aq) + 2 NaF (aq) → MgF2 (s) + Na2SO4 (aq)
or
2 NaF (aq) + Ca(OH)2 (s) → 2 NaOH (aq) + CaF2 (s)
Will it be safe if Calsium fluoride or Magnesium Fluoride will be formed as product? On the internet it is shown as hazardous products, and I am concerned if it will be safe to use this combinations. Both is also precipitants - I am not sure if I will see any effect on the results?

2 NaF (aq) + Ca(OH)2 (s) → 2 NaOH (aq) + CaF2 (s)
or
Ca(OH)2 (s) + NaHCO3 (aq) → CaCO3 (s) + NaOH (aq) + H2O (l)
In this reations caustic soda will be one of the products. Will it be safe to work with this ingredient?

MgSO4 + Ca(OH)2 → Mg(OH)2 + CaSO4
Will this be my safest option?
If you can please assist me with any advise on my project I will appreciate it!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”