Why DNA polymerases don't have helicase activity

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

NFkappaB

Why DNA polymerases don't have helicase activity

Post by NFkappaB »

RNA polymerases have intrinsic helicase ability, DNA polymerases don't.
I am curious why DNA polymerases evolved in such a way that they lack the ability to unwind DNA.
SciB
Expert
Occupation: Retired molecular biologist, university researcher and teacher
Project Question: I wish to join Scibuddies to be able to help students achieve the best science project possible and to understand the science behind it.
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Why DNA polymerases don't have helicase activity

Post by SciB »

I would like to add to what the previous expert said by pointing out that there is a DNA polymerase associated with a helicase in the prokaryote E. coli. It is the RecBCD complex. You need to be aware that evolution diverged into the prokaryotes and the eukaryotes way back in time and you need to specify which type of DNA polymerase you are referring to. Using the software tools available online, you could try to align the DNA or protein sequences of prokaryotic and eukaryotic DNA polymerases and maybe identify some key areas where the enzymes differ. This could make an interesting project and teach you how to use some of the important bioinformatics tools that researchers today use frequently. Go to the NCBI website https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/ and you will find a wealth of information about comparing genetic and proteomic sequences, and how to visualize the differences.

When you need more help, send a query to Scibuddies and we will try to answer your questions.

Stay curious,

Sybee

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”