Measuring Bacteria against Disinfectants

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

FAMBAMscience6

Measuring Bacteria against Disinfectants

Post by FAMBAMscience6 »

Good afternoon,

I would like to do a science project where I measure the amount of bacteria that is left on a cutting board after cutting chicken and then I'd like to spray different disinfectants or cleaning products on the cutting board and compare which product disinfects the cutting board best.

How can I measure the bacteria on the cutting board (before and after a disinfectant) and how can I tell if a disinfectant is working against the bacteria. I am trying to figure out the most accurate way to get results.

Thank you for you help and time!
JaquelineP12

Re: Measuring Bacteria against Disinfectants

Post by JaquelineP12 »

hi famba,

you can the measure bacterial by growth is you put your sample on a clear glass plate under a microscope and count how many bacteria cells there are. you can also measure turbidity, which is the amount of bacteria in your sample.

heres more information on it

https://www.wikihow.com/Measure-Bacteri ... r%20sample.

hope i help let me know!!
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

Science Buddies has a project guide that includes a detailed explanation of how to measure the amount of bacteria on a cutting board before and after disinfecting it! Here's the link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tants-work'

Let us know if you have any more questions about the procedure!
FAMBAMscience6

Post by FAMBAMscience6 »

Thank you very much to both of you. I appreciate your help and time!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”