Why is transparent specimen transparent?

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

Tenyo

Why is transparent specimen transparent?

Post by Tenyo »

Could you tell me the reasons why the diaphonization looks transparent, that is, it allows light to pass through, from an optical perspective? I found how to create a transparent specimen, however, I do not understand the principles.
drstein2022
Expert

Re: Why is transparent specimen transparent?

Post by drstein2022 »

Hi!

Good question. The process of diaphonization is literally digesting tissues with chemicals (specifically an enzyme) that digest flesh. The reason that tissues are usually not transparent is because all of the components within cells (water, lipids, proteins) have different refractive indices. Thus, in each component of a cell, light moves at different speeds and angles. This results in light bouncing around and interacting with itself, making the material not transparent. Diaphonization removes the inconsistency in refractive indices and replaces / modifies the innards of a cell with the same substance such that the cell has the same refractive index throughout, making it transparent!

-Rebekah

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”