Environment science

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Jugnu

Environment science

Post by Jugnu »

I have decided to do an experiment about oil spills and its impact in wildlife. Basically experimenting how to clean up oil spills on the feathers of birds. I am getting confused about my variables. From my understanding Water is my controlled variable. My independent variables, the amount of detergent used in the water and my dependent variable is the feather dipped in oil. Please let me know if my assumptions are correct to write methodologies.
To clarify, I am doing an experiment to see how can detergent help clean up oil spills in the feather of birds.

Thank you in advance.
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Environment science

Post by JacquelineK »

Greetings!

An independent variable is the variable that is varied or manipulated by the experimenter, and the dependent variable is the response that is measured. Based on my understanding of your experiment, your are manipulating the amount of detergent used, to measure how much oil is cleaned from the feather. I believe your assumptions are correct. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”