Urgent! Bouncy ball with salt, glue and liquid starch only

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Nabeel01

Urgent! Bouncy ball with salt, glue and liquid starch only

Post by Nabeel01 »

Urgent please help! I am a Parent in need of how to answer how to make a bouncy ball using only 3 ingredients (no water, no borax etc..) just white glue, Sta Flo liquid laundry starch and salt. I gave done extensive research on polymerization, cross linking, etc. but I can’t find a recipe / technique that will work with only these ingredients. What is chemistry behind the salt? How does salt react with glue? How are borax and Sta Flo related?

Thank you so much! As I have exhausted all research options and time is of the essence
ADI168
Expert

Re: Urgent! Bouncy ball with salt, glue and liquid starch only

Post by ADI168 »

To make a bouncy ball using white glue, Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch, and salt, you can follow these steps:
Materials needed:
1. White glue
2. Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch
3. Salt
4. Bowl for mixing
5. Measuring spoons

Here's the procedure:
1. Start by pouring 1/4 cup of white glue into a bowl.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the glue. The salt will help the ball hold its shape and bounce better.
3. Mix the glue and salt together until they are well combined.
4. Slowly add 1/4 cup of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch to the mixture.
5. Stir the mixture continuously as you add the starch. The mixture will start to thicken.
6. Keep stirring until the mixture forms a sticky ball in the bowl. You may need to use your hands to knead the mixture to form a smooth ball. If the mixture is too sticky, you can add more starch in small amounts until you achieve the desired consistency.
7. Once you have a smooth ball, remove it from the bowl and knead it for a few more minutes to ensure it is well mixed and has the right texture.
8. Your bouncy ball is now ready to use!

Friendly reminder the consistency of the ball may vary depending on the exact proportions of the ingredients used and the specific brand of glue and starch. You can experiment with the amounts to achieve the desired bounciness and texture.

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”