Cheesecake Project and choosing one variable that changes

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

sjscott567

Cheesecake Project and choosing one variable that changes

Post by sjscott567 »

Hi,

My son is wanting to do his science project on the 3 cheesecake methods and which method allows the cheesecake to rise higher with the least amount of cracks for his project this year. However, according to our guidelines only one variable can change throughout the project. Are the 3 methods considered the one variable we are changing? Since each method requires different temperatures, cooking time, etc, we are trying to make sure that these aren't seen as independent variables. We would love some clarity on this, if possible.

Thank you!
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Cheesecake Project and choosing one variable that changes

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there!
I was reading through this experiment and I believe you are correct, the different methods are the changing variable (the independent variable) and the dependent variable(s) is the amount of rise/severity of cracking. The slight variations within each method compared to the others are out of scope for this particular experiment.

I hope this clears things up. If you have any questions, please let me know. Good luck!

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”