How do I make nutrient agar

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Krithisha

How do I make nutrient agar

Post by Krithisha »

Hey! I'm doing this project in school where I need to grow bacteria. I need to make my own liquid agar, but I can't find a trustable source that provides some. Is there a way to make nutrient agar out of normal agar powder? I don't have much time, so I don't want to have to start over.
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Re: How do I make nutrient agar

Post by chloemkohl »

It's very smart that you're searching for reliable sources! I found a procedure on sciencing.com that is targeted towards middle and high school students. After a bit of research, it seems as if this website is a highly informational and reliable source. I've attached the procedure below.

https://sciencing.com/make-agar-gel-pow ... 70363.html

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Good luck,
Chloe
Krithisha

Re: How do I make nutrient agar

Post by Krithisha »

Thank you for answering. I was worried I would run out of time, but this information just saved me. I will look at the website. Once again thank you so much for your help.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”