Harnessing Electromagnetic Waves from Cell Phones

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

brindhaaa

Harnessing Electromagnetic Waves from Cell Phones

Post by brindhaaa »

Hi there!

I am involved in my school's Science Research program, and my project this year deals with electromagnetic frequencies emitted from mobile phones. As mobile phones are becoming increasingly more common, the harmful effect of electromagnetic waves emitted from them is amplified, leading to malignant brain tumors, DNA damage, and blood-brain barrier penetrability.

The goal of my project is to design a technology that can:
1) Harness and redirect electromagnetic waves emitted from a mobile phone so that they can be emitted in a direction away from the phone's user, and therefore, not be absorbed by the user's body.
2) After being redirected, the technology will allow for the electromagnetic waves to be instantaneously released into space again.

I recently developed this idea, and do not really know the specifics of how I'm going to achieve this. My idea is to digitally model and test this technology instead of building it in real life. I was wondering if anyone knew any software that would let me virtually design the circuitry for this technology as well as test it digitally too.

Thank you so much!
Brindha
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Harnessing Electromagnetic Waves from Cell Phones

Post by bfinio »

Hi - this is a very advanced electrical engineering topic and will require a lot of research on your part. I would suggest you start out by doing research specifically on radio-frequency (RF) electromagnetic waves, antennas, and then search to see if there is any simulation software related to these topics available. I am not sure if there will be any free or low-cost programs available - this may require professional engineering software, which is typically very expensive (thousands of dollars). However, some programs have free or heavily discounted versions for students, or may offer a free trial.

There is an entire sub-field of engineering devoted to this: https://careerdiscovery.sciencebuddies. ... y-engineer. I am not a radio-frequency engineer so unfortunately I can't help you with specifics, but hopefully this points you in the right direction. Good luck!
brindhaaa

Post by brindhaaa »

Hi!

Thank you so much for the guidance! I will definitely look into those two topics. I also checked out the link you pasted in your message, and I was wondering how I can connect with a Radio Frequency Engineer to help me with my project.

Thank you!
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert

Post by bfinio »

Hi - we have a resource about finding a mentor that you may find useful: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tem-mentor
rmarz
Expert
Project Question: n/a

Post by rmarz »

Brindha - It appears you are trying to create a solution for a very controversial and misunderstood problem. While there is no question that cell phones emit electromagnetic energy, there is quite a lot of differing opinion as to what real, negative effect it has on the human body. Here are two links from the FDA and the CDC that suggest that they have found no evidence that cell phone emissions have negative side effects on human physiology.

https://www.fda.gov/radiation-emitting- ... lth-hazard

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/cell ... ._faq.html

There are several products on the market that include shielding "stickers" or similar items that attach to the phone and claim to shield the user. These products seem to come from little known companies (no major or recognizable companies in the list) so large credibility questions here.

You suggested investigating a form of shield that would redirect the EMF and safely transmit it away in another direction. While this sounds like a possible solution, you would be creating a very directional cell phone that might have difficulty connecting with a cell tower to communicate, depending on how it was held. The phone might also be creating 'distorted' signals as a result of heterodyning that would hinder connectivity with the cell tower.

I don't want to sound negative about your idea, but you have to put problems and potential solutions in a perspective where you evaluate cost/benefit or real safety issues. Good luck on your further investigation.

Rick Marz
brindhaaa

Post by brindhaaa »

Hi Rick,

You are correct in the sense that cell phones do not directly have any negative effect on the user. However, in my research, I found studies linking the radiation of the cell phone to triggering unnecessary nerve pulses and other chemical reactions in the brain, damage to the blood-brain barrier penetrability, as well as radiation leading to DNA damage. I also checked out the different shielding stickers that already exist, and I have found that almost none of them provide promising results, which makes my project idea all the better!

You were also correct when you mentioned that redirecting the electromagnetic waves would create may disturb the connectivity with the cell tower. In my research, I found that many of the shielding stickers attempt to do this. As a result of redirecting the electromagnetic wave, the cell signal is significantly decreased.

On the contrary, I have come up with an alternative solution for my project. EMFs cause subatomic particles in their environment to vibrate, causing subatomic chaos. When this happens inside the human body, voltage gated channels attached to cells are unnecessarily opened, causing an influx of ions entering the cell. This leads to depolarization of the cell, which sets of a chain of reactions and leads to DNA damage and unnecessary pulse triggers. If I can find a way to successfully stabilize this subatomic vibration before it reaches the chaos level, I can successfully rid the cell phone user potential harmful effects from cell phone radiation. Please let me know your thoughts on my idea :)

Thank you!
Brindha
brindhaaa

Electronic Circuits- Resonance

Post by brindhaaa »

Hi!

For my research project this year, I am trying to create a technology that can counteract the negative effects of cell phones. Cells phone emit radiation fields that have a much higher frequency than the earth's natural environment's frequency. Human bodies naturally pick up the vibrations of their surroundings, and so when we are exposed to these radiation fields our body, on a subatomic level, begins to vibrate at a frequency that is not natural to our normal balance. This leads to several health problems.

In my project, I am trying to develop a technology that will use outside sources of power to create and amplify the natural, low-frequency energy within an environment. When more of this energy is made available to us, we are able to establish resonance with this energy instead of establishing resonance with the harmful radiation field.

To build this technology, I have been looking into oscillating circuits. Based on what I have read, it looks like these circuits are self-inductance and can run forever. I am still confused as to how exactly it works. Would someone be able to explain this to me? That would be extremely helpful!

Thank you so much!
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert

Post by MadelineB »

Hello Brindhaa,

I've merged your most recent post into the thread from your previous posts on this topic. Science Buddies encourages students to keep their posts on the same topic in the same thread so that the expert(s) who have been helping you can see that you have posted a follow-up thread.

Thank you and best of luck with your project!
Madeline
brindhaaa

Post by brindhaaa »

Can electrical energy be converted into vibrational energy?

If more natural vibrational energy is created within our environment, our bodies can establish resonance with these vibrations, which is why I think this could be useful in my project.

Thank you!
Brindha
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Brindha - Has your project been approved by your school? I think that you may want to try and find help outside of these forums as you continue your project. One of the Experts above posted a link to information on how to get started finding a mentor. I recommend taking a look at that information:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... tem-mentor

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”