Does Your Mobile Phone Radiate? Measuring Cell Phone Electromagnetic Radiation

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

AlonsoM

Does Your Mobile Phone Radiate? Measuring Cell Phone Electromagnetic Radiation

Post by AlonsoM »

In the science projects Does Your Mobile Phone Radiate? Measuring Cell Phone Electromagnetic Radiation I don't understand this part "Visualize the data. Make a plot for the cell phone in call mode. Label the x-axis Distance Between Cell Phone and RF Meter [cm]. Label the y-axis Average power [μW/m2]. Plot the average values for the measurements from the front for each distance. Add the average values for measurements with respect to the back, bottom, top, and each side of the phone choosing a different color for each direction." I would really appreciate it if you could explain how i am supposed to make a plot and how it is supposed to look like and how to label the y and x axis and to get the average values to plot from both texting and call mode i would like a quick response thank you very much!
audreyln
Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Does Your Mobile Phone Radiate? Measuring Cell Phone Electromagnetic Radiation

Post by audreyln »

Hello,

This sounds like a fun project! To plot your data, I suggest using a line chart with 6 different colored lines for each side of the phone (front, back, top, bottom, left side, right side). I would suggest making one chart for Call Mode and a separate chart for Text Mode, each will have 6 lines. You can Google search "how to make a line chart" for more details on how to do this in Excel or other computer programs.

The data for each line will come from the table you completed that looks like Table 1 in the Experimental Procedure. As described in the "Analyzing Your Data" section steps 1-5, calculate the average of your three trials and use this average power in your chart (after this you can ignore the three trial values, you don't need them anymore).

The x-axis of your chart will be "Distance Between Cell Phone and RF Meter [cm]" and will have three labels (2 cm, 5 cm and 15 cm). The y-axis of your chart will be "Average Power [μW/m2]" and will be a scale with numbers based on your Average Power calculations.

To add more lines to your chart for the 6 different directions (front, back, top, bottom, left side, right side) you will need to add different "SERIES" to your line chart. Again, you can Google search how to do this in your computer program.

Hope this helps!

Audrey

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”