The Skinny on Moisturizers -jello flavour/colour

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Nnnmannn

The Skinny on Moisturizers -jello flavour/colour

Post by Nnnmannn »

Hi there! For my science fair project I am doing the skinny on moisturizers. I suggest reading the experiment before answering this. Anyways, for the jello, they use the green lime flavouring. I was wondering if I could use any flavour or colour for the jello. Also, my science teacher told me to put my jello/moisturizer samples at a room temperature room with the lid of the Petri dish open. How long should I do my experiment like this before growing mold. I was thinking 5 days but I am not sure if I can use that data from only 5 days. Please help!
Thanks! :D
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Re: The Skinny on Moisturizers -jello flavour/colour

Post by chloemkohl »

Hello! Any flavor of jello is fine, as it's the material rather than the color that is important. The experiment is supposed to be carried out over a two week period. While a long experiment would be ideal, you should start to notice the general trends after a few days, so stopping if the jello were to get moldy is fine. Hopefully this helps to answer your questions. Good luck and have fun with the experiment!
- Chloe
Nnnmannn

Post by Nnnmannn »

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.About the time that the jello should stay out, my teacher said not to do two weeks. He said this would grow mold, I told him that it wouldn’t because the lid would be on. He told me to take the lid off while doing this experiment because if it were on I would be testing the lid and not the the moisturizer and the moisture evaporation. What should I do?

Thanks
chloemkohl
Student Expert

Post by chloemkohl »

Hello. For this experiment, you do need to keep the lid off in order to test the jello. With that said, I would follow your teacher's advice regarding the mold. You should start to notice the general trends after a few days, so the mold shouldn't have any extreme impacts on the experiment.
Good luck!
- Chloe
Nnnmannn

Post by Nnnmannn »

Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”