How to turn sodium hydroxide pellets to sodium hydroxide solution

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

AnnieCrafter

How to turn sodium hydroxide pellets to sodium hydroxide solution

Post by AnnieCrafter »

Hey, I'm doing a science fair project and my dad got sodium hydroxide pellets instead of solution? I need 0.1M sodium hydroxide solution for my project. How do I convert it into a solution?
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: How to turn sodium hydroxide pellets to sodium hydroxide solution

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there!
Molarity is equal to moles of your solute (the thing being dissolved) divided by liters of your solution (solute plus solution).

If we assume you want a 1 liter of your solution, then you need .01 moles of NaOH. The molar mass of NaOH is 40g so, 40*.01=0.4g.

You weigh out your 0.4g, put it in a 1 liter container, then fill it up with water. Voila, you have your solution! Hope this helps.

Cheers
manumanuswi

Re: How to turn sodium hydroxide pellets to sodium hydroxide solution

Post by manumanuswi »

To convert sodium hydroxide pellets into a 0.1M solution, you will need to weigh out a certain amount of the pellets and dissolve them in a specific amount of water. The concentration of the final solution is determined by the amount of solute (sodium hydroxide) and the amount of solvent (water) used. Here is a general guide on how to make a 0.1M solution:
1) Weigh out 0.1 grams of sodium hydroxide pellets.
2) Place the pellets in a clean, dry container.
3)Slowly add distilled water to the container while stirring. The amount of water you will need will depend on the volume you want to make. You will know when you have added enough water when the pellets are fully dissolved.
4) Once the solution is clear, use a dropper or a graduated cylinder to measure out the desired volume of solution for your experiment.
5) Label the container with the concentration, date, and your name.
It's important to note that it's crucial to work safely and use protective gear such as goggles and gloves when handling sodium hydroxide because it is a highly caustic substance and can cause chemical burns. Also, make sure to use distilled water or deionized water, as tap water can contain impurities that can affect the accuracy of your experiment.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”