Peripheral Vision Test Project

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

shells07

Peripheral Vision Test Project

Post by shells07 »

So my science fair project was if eye color affects the range of peripheral vision. I used the tutorial on this website for how to make a peripheral vision test but you guys were testing colors and shapes in peripheral vision rather than different eye colors. I was wondering if I could get enough data to do my science fair with just testing eye colors or if it would be better to test colors and shapes as well on different eye colors. I was using a one inch black square taped to a popsicle stick. If I can just do different eye colors using one color and shape, would this project still work for that or would I have to do something else? Thanks!
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Peripheral Vision Test Project

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there!

To my understanding, you are wanting to test if different eye colors affect peripheral vision.

Let's start with a little bit of anatomy of the eye. The colored part you are talking about is called the iris. The main function of the iris is to control the pupil size. It is composed of two major regions which will constrict or relax depending on the intensity of light. The actual color of the iris is due to melanin, the pigment that contributes to color. The amount of melanin in the iris is one of many factors in determining the eye color of a person. Structurally, the melanin found in the iris is only slightly different from its equivalent found in skin and hair.

Based on this information, there is not enough data to support that claim that eye color will affect the quality of someone's vision. It would be like saying a person with blonde hair has better eye sight than a person with brown hair, based only on the color of their hair. I hope this makes sense. Please reach out with any questions. Cheers!

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”