Help! slime mold not growing!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Adam_The_Jedi

Help! slime mold not growing!

Post by Adam_The_Jedi »

Hi! my slime mold project isn't working. Its not growing after it was transferred to maze. see link: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... solve-maze. please respond soon for I might flunk :(
drstein2022
Expert

Re: Help! slime mold not growing!

Post by drstein2022 »

Dear Adam,

OK, a few questions!
1) How long have you been growing it?
2) What do you see? What are your observations?
3) Do you have any ideas as to why it is not working?

It is really important to note that it's common scientific experiments don't work. A very important part of science is troubleshooting. Observing what happens and making a hypothesis as to why it didn't work is just as instrumental to the scientific process as everything proceeding as expected. Particularly if you're working from a kit, it's possible you were given a sterilized kit. A lot of this is not within your control, the only thing that is is how you take whatever your experiment throws at you and learn from it!

If you write up these observations and your hypotheses, I think you have a great case to make for your experiment.

Take care and best of luck,
Rebekah
Adam_The_Jedi

Post by Adam_The_Jedi »

1) I've been growing it for the recommended amount of time; a week so far.

2) I don't see any growth from the slime mold, looks like there might be some spots of bacteria growing in other areas though - I see tiny white specs

3) I'm wondering if I used the right paper for the maze, its transparency paper that I ordered online but it's not plastic. I had to use my fingers to put the maze into place because it was folding upwards because of the warm agar.

I can send you a picture of it if you have an email address.

Thanks
Adam
drstein2022
Expert

Post by drstein2022 »

Dear Adam,

I think this is all very useful information. I would take the negative results (it not growing) and expand on your hypothesis as to why it didn't work out. That's how science works after all! I might add that perhaps there were some competing bacteria on your fingers that could have gotten in the way? But I'm not very familiar with how skin oil and skin bacteria could play a role.

Rebekah

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”