Acid Rain and aquatic life expirament

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

Lunashine

Acid Rain and aquatic life expirament

Post by Lunashine »

Hello,
I wanted to ask something about my experiment, in the experiment of Acid rain and aquatic life, the materials say that you need a large, reusable plastic container, but when I went to get my materials, I accidently picked up 4 glass jars, so can I use glass jars instead of plastic containers? Also, my experiment requires pond snails, to see how many of them can survive the acidic environment, but I don't want to do an experiment on them since it's animal cruelty, and in our school I don't think they allow us to harm animals in any way, so can I just use the duckweed plants?

Thank you
koneill18
Expert

Re: Acid Rain and aquatic life expirament

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

The glass containers should be fine for this experiment. And it's completely fine to eliminate the pond snails and just use the duckweed plants.

Let us know if you have any other questions!
Lunashine

Post by Lunashine »

Hello,
Thank you for your answer to my other questions, but, yes I have another question.
So, since we didn't have enough duckweed plants we are deciding that alongside the duckweeds, we will put the same amount of pearlweeds, I just wanted to ask if it's okay to put the same of the two plants in my glass jars for my experiment, in my opinion, I think it's okay because two plants means more biodiversity to test, but still, I wanted to be sure.

Thank you
koneill18
Expert

Post by koneill18 »

Hello,

Sure, that sounds like a great idea! Putting two different types of plants in each jar would be totally fine.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”