Automatic braking with bluebot

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

csar

Automatic braking with bluebot

Post by csar »

Hi,
We have downloaded the Adruino program, we have also downloaded the automatic braking code, and senor to the robot.

We are on 6. C when I select the monitor there are no readings shown. What would I need to do next?

Also, when I disconnect the robot from the usb it will not run? When it’s connected to the usb it will run.

Thanks,
Christy
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Automatic braking with bluebot

Post by bfinio »

Hi Christy,

1) Can you let me know which version of the Arduino IDE you are running? In older versions, the serial monitor used to pop up as a separate window. In newer versions, it is in the same window as the code, but you have to select "Serial Monitor" next to where it says "Output" toward the bottom left of the screen. You can find out what version you are running by looking at the very top of the window (something like "Arduino IDE 2.0.3").

2) Do you have the 9V battery plugged in to your Arduino? The Arduino needs the 9V battery so it can still have power when you unplug the USB cord.

3) Is this the first time you/the students have worked with an Arduino? If so I wanted to recommend our new How to Use an Arduino series of tutorial videos, which start with the basics and may be easier to follow: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlBV ... 1lSrlSVeEm

Thanks,

Ben
csar

Post by csar »

Hi Ben,
At the top of the screen it says create.arduino.cc. We are using the cloud option on the Chrome.

I select the Monitor on the left side of the screen and a screen comes up with Newline option, Baud?, then a blank area and send.

We do have a 9v battery to the Arduino and a 3xAA to the breadboard.

It worked a couple of times and now we can get it run again.

This is the first time our kids have used this program. We watched the videos and it was very helpful. The videos are the reason they made it this far. I am so proud of them!

Thanks,
Christy
bfinio
Expert
Project Question: Expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by bfinio »

Hi Christy - make sure you enter 9600 for the "baud rate" (this is how fast the computer and Arduino communicate with each other). On the desktop version I think that is filled in by default, but you may need to enter it in the online version.

If you do have the 9V connected then it's hard to say why the robot isn't running without seeing your circuit. If you can upload well-lit, in-focus pictures of your breadboard from a top-down view so I can see the connections, I can help you debug.

Thanks,

Ben

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”