Measuring Algae Growth and Lipids Accumulation

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

vivi_k

Preparing Stock Solutions

Post by vivi_k »

Hello! I'm currently trying to conduct an experiment about the effect of phytohormones on the growth and lipids accumulation of microalgae (Chlorella Vulgaris). I have a few questions that I can't quite find an answer to, so I'd greatly appreciate it if you could help me as soon as possible!

1)I'm planning on diluting ethanol to 70% with water to later use for making stock solutions. What kind of water should I use? Is it okay to use tap water?
2) My sample sizes will be 50 ml of algae culture and 200 ml of culture media. To achieve the final concentration of phytohormones of 10.0 mg/ml, how should I make the stock solution and how much should I add to the algae culture? (I only have 100 mg of phytohormones). For your reference, here is a procedure I found online, but it's unclear and confusing.
To prepare a 1 mg/L stock solution: Add 100 mg of the plant growth regulator to a 100 mL volumetric flask or other glass container. Add 2-5 mL of solvent to dissolve the powder. Once completely dissolved, bring to volume with double processed water (Product No. W3500). Stirring the solution while adding water may be required to keep the material in solution. Store the stock solution as recommended in the tables. Add 1.0 mL of the stock solution to 1 liter of medium to obtain a final concentration of 1.0 mg/L of the plant growth regulator in the culture medium
3) What is the difference between mg/ml and mg/l?
4) Finally, how do you perform the error percentage test and the chi-squared test for this kind of experiment?

Once again, thank you so much for your time and effort. Have a great day!
vivi_k

Measuring Algae Growth and Lipids Accumulation

Post by vivi_k »

Hi, I'll be conducting an experiment where I culture Chlorella Vulgaris in media with different phytohormones to test their effectiveness in inducing algal lipids. I'd appreciate it if you help me as soon as possible. You don't need to answer all the questions!!

1) How can I measure algae growth?
2) Since Chlorella Vulagis is very small, is it better to harvest them with a sieve or a centrifuge?
3) How do you conduct hexane lipid extraction?
4) Finally, how do you perform the error percentage test and the chi-squared test for this kind of experiment?
kstromberg
Expert

Re: Measuring Algae Growth and Lipids Accumulation

Post by kstromberg »

1. The easiest way to measure growth would be by measuring the optical density (OD) of the algae and compare between the different groups.
2. I have not used a sieve before, but a centrifuge would likely give you the best yield.
3. For a hexane lipid extraction, make a hexane:isopropanol solution at the concentration of 3:2 and add an appropriate volume to your sample (depends on how much, but 500-1000 µL is usually sufficient.
4. For statistics, I think an ANOVA would be the most appropriate test to run.

-Kaitlin
vivi_k

Re: Measuring Algae Growth and Lipids Accumulation

Post by vivi_k »

Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”