QUESTION: Identifying DNA Experiment

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

CMonti137

QUESTION: Identifying DNA Experiment

Post by CMonti137 »

Hello,

My daughter and were about to begin this experiment, and I needed to double-check that we are performing it correctly.

In the materials section, it lists deionized water, but in the procedure section (Food Coloring Dye Separation Experiment section, Step #1) where one is making the buffer solution, is says to add bottled water.

This may sound like a ridiculous question, but can you confirm that the bottled water mentioned in the procedure section is indeed the deionized water mentioned in the materials section? I'm sure it is since there is no other water source in the materials list, but I just want to be sure.

Here is the experiment:
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ifying-dna

Thanks,
Christi Monti
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: QUESTION: Identifying DNA Experiment

Post by AmyCowen »

Hi Christi - It's always better to check! I apologize for any confusion between the materials list and the directions.

Deionized water should be bought and used throughout the project, including in Step #1 of Food Coloring Dye Separation Experiment. We are updating the project to replace "bottled water" with "deionized water" throughout.

We would love to hear how the project goes.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades 6-8: Physical Science”