Urgent help needed in Microbiology project!!

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

aditya_kadam

Urgent help needed in Microbiology project!!

Post by aditya_kadam »

Hello,
I'm working on a dye degrader microbe isolation project. So for enrichment I'm using Mineral Salt Medium with anthracene as a sole carbon source. There's no other carbon source added.
I was supposed to add 0.01g anthracene in 500ml of the medium(according to references and my guide), but during separate preparation of 250ml+250ml in two flasks I added 0.5g in each 250ml😖which becomes 1g in 500ml...
What should I do next? Expect growth or repeat my project? 🥺Kindly reply ASAP. Need to decide before 30 Jan.
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Urgent help needed in Microbiology project!!

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there!
Sorry for the day late reply! I would be on the cautious side and repeat your project. 0.1g vs 1g is a very large difference and may skew your results significantly. Hopefully you have come to this conclusion on your own. Good luck!

Cheers,
Jacqueline
aditya_kadam

Re: Urgent help needed in Microbiology project!!

Post by aditya_kadam »

JacquelineK wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:42 am Hi there!
Sorry for the day late reply! I would be on the cautious side and repeat your project. 0.1g vs 1g is a very large difference and may skew your results significantly. Hopefully you have come to this conclusion on your own. Good luck!

Cheers,
Jacqueline

Thank you!
I kept the same conditions and incubated in shaking conditions for 3 days, I've observed some growth. Now transferring to another medium with standard (10mg) anthracene concentration.

Have a great day, thanks again for looking into this!
Aditya.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”