windchill above 50 degrees

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

mangos84

windchill above 50 degrees

Post by mangos84 »

you feel colder at room temp with a fan but windchill is only under 50 degrees so what is it called over 50 degrees then? If there is no word for it i just need to know if its possible to measure how much quicker an object cools with wind (above 50 degrees)
koneill18
Expert

Re: windchill above 50 degrees

Post by koneill18 »

Hello!

You're right that the term windchill is usually only used when it's below 50 degrees. But if you're doing a science project where you're testing how wind speed affects the rate of cooling, even if it's above 50 degrees, I think it's still fine for you to use the term windchill since the concept is the same. Have you looked at this Science Buddies project? It has a procedure for how to measure how quickly an object cools with wind.
https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... -windchill

I hope this helps!
mangos84

Cooling rate of water

Post by mangos84 »

I tried to graph the temp of the water every minute but the graph always looked different and the points were random, another thing is that for some reason the water temp was going up a lot
MadelineB
Project Question: Interested in volunteering as an expert
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: windchill above 50 degrees

Post by MadelineB »

Hi Mangos84,

I've merged your most recent post with the thread from your original post on "Wind Chill" so the expert who was helping you with that question can more easily see that you have a follow-up question. Science Buddies suggests that students keep related posts in the same thread. Thank you and best of luck with your project!
Madeline
koneill18
Expert

Re: Cooling rate of water

Post by koneill18 »

mangos84 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:34 pm I tried to graph the temp of the water every minute but the graph always looked different and the points were random, another thing is that for some reason the water temp was going up a lot
Hello,

When you measured the temperatures, did you make sure to keep the thermometer at the same angle and distance from the cup each time? If your temperatures were very different when you repeated the measurements 3 times, there could be inconsistencies in how you were taking the measurements. How big were the temperature differences each time you took a reading? And did the graphs that you made for the low, middle, and high windspeeds look different from each other?

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”