Science Fair First Grade

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

mrps231

Science Fair First Grade

Post by mrps231 »

My kid is in first grade and I wanted to ask if it is okay build a product using a prepackaged kit to run an experiment on. The product is not the main theme. It's the experiment that she will be running on the product. Or should the product be build from scratch?
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Science Fair First Grade

Post by AmyCowen »

A lot will depend on what your student's teacher has required or assigned. Using a readymade product probably isn't an issue, especially if your student will be using it to do an independent experiment. But, again, it is worth checking with your teacher to make sure what the expectations and limitations are. (Without knowing more specifically what kind of kit, product, and experiment you are considering, this is a general answer.)

If you want to browse other project alternatives, you can view projects suitable for first grade here: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... irst-grade

Each of these has the required materials listed. In some cases, the materials are very simple, items you may already have on hand.

Amy
Science Buddies
mrps231

Post by mrps231 »

https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ld-art-bot - this project has a kit available. So, if we use the kit and assemble it, is it okay?
kstromberg
Expert

Post by kstromberg »

I think this would depend on the teacher's requirements for the project. It would be best to check with them for further clarification.
AmyCowen
Site Admin
Project Question: -
Project Due Date: -
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by AmyCowen »

I agree with kstromberg that you should check with your student's teacher. But the ArtBot kit really only supplies the "materials" you need.

Following the project, your student will need to build the ArtBot and then, using the directions, will experiment with how it works and how changing the design of it changes how it draws.

I would expect that using the kit isn't a problem - it's just a convenient approach to buying the correct materials for an electronics/robotics project like this. But it's always a good idea to get a teacher's approval on a chosen project.

Amy
Science Buddies

Return to “Grades K-5: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”