Calculating original sucrose concentration

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

JaiTam

Calculating original sucrose concentration

Post by JaiTam »

Hello, I am doing this project for my science class: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/Files/12 ... cedure.pdf

I am a little confused with the calculations and interpretation of my results. I am hoping someone can help me please.

1. For the invertase part of the experiment, the glucose concentration was 1% at the linear time point of 20 min and plateau at 2% for product inhibition. This gave a 10% sucrose converted. Is that correct? this is with the 1:10 sucrose dilution.

2. For the food tested with invertase enzyme part, I am having trouble with the calculations. These are some of the foods I tested:

Rice Milk: Glucose of 0.5% before adding invertase; glucose reading of 0.92 (averaged from 3 trials) after adding invertase
This was not diluated 1:10 before testing. should my calculations be: (0.92%/10%) x 100% = 9.2%
Mt Dew soda: Glucose of 1% before adding invertase; glucose reading of 1.67 (averaged from 3 trials) after adding invertase
So if i were to calculate using the above information: (1.69%/10%) x 100% = 16.9 (this seems low for this soda). But the soda was also diluted 1:10 before adding invertase, so should this be the calculation: [(1.69%x10) / 10%] x100% = 169% (this does not seem right either).

Please help with this very interesting project. I am not understanding how others have gotten glucose measurements of 2.5% or more when the glucose strips measure only to 2% unless they are diluting and then multiplying by 10 for the 1:10 diluation. Please help with the two calculations above. thank you very much.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”