Do video game players have faster reaction times than non-players

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

jar7790

Do video game players have faster reaction times than non-players

Post by jar7790 »

Hi. I am doing this experiment for a science fair project. I'm a little confused when it gets to step 5. I made the scatter plot (not sure if I did it right) and now I have to get the average reaction time. Once I get the average, where do I put that information? Does it go in the scatter plot or in the charts with the individual average times?
Thank you for your help,

Sofia
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: Do video game players have faster reaction times than non-players

Post by JacquelineK »

Hi there,
I just looked at the procedure notes and it looks like the average reaction time will be in the data tables as well as the scatter plot. The data table will have 5 times for each volunteer. You will average the 5 times and put that in the dedicated box. The scatter plot will graph the average reaction time(s) on the y-axis, volunteer(s) on the x-axis. Hope this clarifies your confusion. Cheers!
jar7790

Post by jar7790 »

Hi,
Thank you for your quick response. I have figured out how to do those steps. What I am confused about is in Step 5 where is says to get the average reaction time, also known as the arithmetic mean for each group. I know I have to add the 5 average times together and divide by 5. I just don't know where to put those results.
I appreciate your help.

Sofia
JacquelineK
Expert

Post by JacquelineK »

Okay, I see. On your data tables, just create an additional box and label it as "group average" or just create a new four square table and use that. You can do the same on the scatter plot. On the side you can state the two group averages. As long as it is somewhere in your data tables and on your graph, it should be just fine. Cheers.

Return to “Grades 6-8: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”