Abstract & Application [High School]

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Patrick Dixon

Abstract & Application [High School]

Post by Patrick Dixon »

I need some help writing my abstract & application But mostly the abstract. My project is on how the intensity of light affects solar output.

Thanks,
Patrick Dixon :wink:
When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son, Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns. But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..

Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Patrick,

An abstract is a brief summary of your work. In your abstract you should describe what you did, why you did it, what you find out, and why it matters.

The first thing you need to do is identify the questions you were trying to answer or the problem you were trying to solve. Describe it in a sentence or two.

Next, briefly explain what you did (e.g. procedures). Take another 1-2 sentences.

Then summarize you results and conclusions. If you can, use specific numbers to support your conclusion. Once again, do this in 1-2 sentences.

Finally, explain why what you found out is important. As a judge, I want to know why I should care if the intensity of light affects solar output. Don't leave me asking "So what?" or "Who cares?"

If you have any other questions or problems, let me know. If would also be helpful if you told me which fairs you are applying to, since the rules on abstract differ a bit from fair to fair.
All the best,
Terik
Patrick Dixon

Post by Patrick Dixon »

Thanks so much I was just confused on what the abstract was (have not done one in a while) now it will be so much easier to finish.

Thanks again,
Patrick Dixon :wink:
When I was just a baby my mama told me. Son, Always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns. But I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. When I hear that whistle blowing, I hang my head and cry..

Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”