question about Fish Markets and Sustainability

Ask questions about projects relating to: biology, biochemistry, genomics, microbiology, molecular biology, pharmacology/toxicology, zoology, human behavior, archeology, anthropology, political science, sociology, geology, environmental science, oceanography, seismology, weather, or atmosphere.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, MadelineB, Moderators

okaeash

question about Fish Markets and Sustainability

Post by okaeash »

hello, i am interested in doing Fish Markets and Sustainability science project. however, i don’t quite understand on how should i measure the sustainability. i could not find the consumer’s rating index. how do i rate each product for sustainability and how can i know which markets offer the most sustainable varieties of fish? thankyou

Moderator note: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... ainability
JacquelineK
Expert

Re: question about Fish Markets and Sustainability

Post by JacquelineK »

Greetings,
The experiment references materials and tools made available through seafoodwatch.org. They have several guides on the types of fish sold nationally, regionally etc. with sustainability ratings. In this experiment you will need to go to a local fish market and collect data on the types of fish they are selling. You will then use the guides to rate them on the sustainability scale and determine if the market is sustainable or not. Hope this helps. Post any other questions you have here.
Cheers.

Return to “Grades 9-12: Life, Earth, and Social Sciences”