Note Book

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Chili

Note Book

Post by Chili »

Hello,

Is the lab notebook usually displayed, along with the board and research report, or is that up to each school/fair? Thanks.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

I reccomend displaying your lab notebook alongside you display board. Judges are interested in looking at the notebook and often use it in the judging process.
All the best,
Terik
Chili

Thanks

Post by Chili »

Thanks, Terik. The reason I asked is because I bought a blue notebook for him and now it won't coordinate with my child's color scheme for his board. Is that a biggie or how could we get around that? Thanks again.
methionine
Project Question: Fox-1 and Fox-2 in Cassette Exon Inclusion and Exclusion
Project Due Date: April 9
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by methionine »

Wow, do you really even need to color-coordinate your log book with your presentation board? I never knew they were that critical...
People do not see the world as it is, they see it as they are.
carolinethorn
Former Expert

Post by carolinethorn »

The judges will look at whats inside the notebook, the colour of it does not matter. They want to see the original observations so copying it from the blue notebook into another coloured one would actually be a bad thing. Think about the scandals in the news lately about scientists faking results - how the community keeps a check on that is by looking at the original records and notebooks.
-Caroline
ChrisG
Former Expert
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a

Post by ChrisG »

Strangely, there is a published journal article discussing the tendency of badly-coordinated colors (clothes in this instance) to attract fewer viewers to a scientific presentation.
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/169/12/1291
There is also some related discussion here, under "Presenting your poster"
http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpurri ... advice.htm

I do believe that odd little details can affect a viewers perception of a scientific presentation or article. For example, minor typos do not really affect the scientific content of a presentation, but they may give a viewer a first impression that, because the scientist was not careful with proof reading, they might also not have been careful with their research. That said, there are obviously plenty of successful career scientists who do not bother to coordinate their colors, and who do not balk at a few typos.

Unless it is a really horrible color contrast, I doubt it will make a substantial difference to the judges of a science fair. On the other hand, if your child feels ill-at-ease that the colors don't match, it might be worth giving him/her some peace of mind by putting a removable cover on the lab notebook that matches the presentation board color. As Caroline said, certainly don't re-copy all the notes.

Good luck!
Chris
MelissaB

Post by MelissaB »

I don't think it matters, but if you're worried you could always buy a matching three-ring binder, take out the rings, and set the notebook inside it (much like ChrisG's suggestion of buying a cover for it). Without knowing exactly what sort of notebook it is, it's hard to make suggestions.
methionine
Project Question: Fox-1 and Fox-2 in Cassette Exon Inclusion and Exclusion
Project Due Date: April 9
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Post by methionine »

My notebook is EXTREMELY neat -- as in, so neat that some people probably wouldn't even believe that it was the original notebook (although it is)... is that a problem?
People do not see the world as it is, they see it as they are.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A

Post by tdaly »

The fact that your notebook is original is what matters. Display your original notebook no matter what.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”