Time Frame For Science Project

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Chili

Time Frame For Science Project

Post by Chili »

After having the science idea approved, my sixth grade child had four days to figure out and turn in his title, question, hypothesis and purpose. Now, he's had less than a week to complete the steps and materials. (Let's say he's been working all weekend, which is a major bummer during the holidays.) Anyway, can you tell me if this is really as long as it should take to figure out this stuff or is the teacher pushing it? Thanks for any feedback before I talk to her about it.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

I don't think anyone in this forum is qualified to address your concern; I would suggest talking directly with the teacher.

However, let me share some personal experince with you. I've done science fair for twelve years (K-12th). In addition, I've mentored students who've participated in local, state, national, and international competitions. I work with non-profit organizations who organize, facilitate, and judge science fairs. In all my years working with teachers, students, and principals, I've seen many different time lines and lots of different requirements.

The time line your child's teacher has set forth does not seem unreasonable to me. I've seen teachers who give their students months to come up with question, hypothesis, materials, and procedures. I've also seen teachers give one day for each assignment. I would say that your child's teacher is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

However, if you feel your child is being overworked, please talk to his or her teacher. You are only a child once and a child's job is to be a kid--to run, play, laugh, and then learn. As a parent, you have a voice in your child's education. It's the law.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”