wood catapults question

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

ferret987

wood catapults question

Post by ferret987 »

hello,
my friend and i are doing a science fair project and we had a couple questions. for the project, we are planning on building three identical catapults using different types of wood, and testing them to see which can throw the same projectile the farthest, the highest, etc.

we are having some trouble finding the wood requirements for pine, balsa, and plywood. what do you guys think about using these for the catapults? and where might we find 1x1 pieces of this?

many thanks,
paul
hiramuzammal
Former Expert

Post by hiramuzammal »

You can find wood at The Home Depot, Lowe's or general hardware stores.
Here's a link to a Lowe's article about wood:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=h ... WWood.html

A google search turns up catapults made from various woods, including the woods that you are planning to use.

Good Luck with your project.
oharark@pweh.com

catapults

Post by oharark@pweh.com »

I have built working model catapults, ballistia, etc.

I am afraid that you will not be able to determine any difference in "wood performance" on a small scale....however~

May I suggest that you try using "string" and "rubber bands" and "leather shoe laces" and compare their "efficiency." May I also suggest that you use Cyno-acrylic glue in your work...it's the fasting drying and "toughest" glue on the market today. See "Tower Hobbies" to order it.

My models lasted over 10 years and were used my hundreds of students.

It's a labor of love, and very interesting work.

Ron, Ancient History and Biology Teacher

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”