So, what now?

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

methionine
Project Question: Fox-1 and Fox-2 in Cassette Exon Inclusion and Exclusion
Project Due Date: April 9
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

So, what now?

Post by methionine »

Hi all,
It turns out that my experiment will take too long to complete in time for the deadline, so my mentor and I decided to simply not do a part of the experiment (we were planning to increase the intron length AND decrease it; however now we're not decreasing intron length).
I wanted to decrease length because that'd make my project more in depth, but right now it just doesn't seem feasible. How would this affect how the judges look at my project? Is it something I should worry about? I really aspire to win this science fair and move on to the next level; is there anything I can do to make up for this? I know my material rather well, and I know that my display board will be relatively good as well.
The project is due at the end of March, and right now I'm working on elongating the intron/inserting sequences.

Thanks for your help, advice, reassurance, etc... :)
People do not see the world as it is, they see it as they are.
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

methionine,

My advice to you: stop stressing out. I did science fair for all four years of my high school career. I've been to ISEF multiple times and won multiple awards. I've won distinctive awards in other competitions as well. AND my project was never completed in time for the fair (and it still isn't...). So, I took what I had done and presented that. You will most likely get asked when you are being judged what you want to do next (further research), and that is the perfect opportunity to tell the judges what you are doing.

Stop stressing; you'll do just fine. Present what you have done and tell the judges about what you are going to do.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”