Santa Cruz Science Fair and Butterflies

Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, such as: judging, how to set up your display board, preparing a presentation, preparing for questions...

Moderator: berkeleywebs

Califday

Santa Cruz Science Fair and Butterflies

Post by Califday »

My daughter has been invited to participate in the SC Science Fair. However, I guess you can say that she is having second thoughts. Although I want to encourage, I do not want to push. If any of you are judges or have any knowledge of this particular science fair (interview time, what to wear, quality of fair, etc), it would be greatly appreciated. BTW, she is in the Junior division. Have a good day and thank you very much. I hear SC Science Fair is great!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Califday,

Participation in a science fair can be a rewarding experience for many students. Not only do science fairs give them an opportunity to showcase their projects, but they also provide a forum for learning other valuable skills, like oral communication and social interaction. The lessons learned by participation in a science fair extend beyond scientific: they help the student gain valuable life skills that will help them be better students, workers, and citizens.

The Santa Cruz fair is similiar in structure to most other Intel ISEF affiliated fairs.

Prior to the actualy judging interviews, the judges will have reviewed the displays and read the student's abstract. During the actual judging sessiosn, judges visit the students, usually individually, but sometimes in groups of two or three, and talk to them for about ten minutes.

Students will wear a variety of clothing to the fair. In my six years of experience with Intel ISEF and their affiliated fairs, I have noted, however, that students who "dress for success" are the most successful. I would reccomend that your daughter wear appropriate business attire.

The SC Science Fair is of an especially high quality. In order to be affiliated with Intel ISEF, the fair must be.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Preparing for the Science Fair”