Radiation project help

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

bcrary3
Project Question: Building a portable x-ray machine
Project Due Date: 14/4/2014
Project Status: I am just starting

Radiation project help

Post by bcrary3 »

Hello all, for school I am required to do a project pertaining to health, since I am very interested in radiology in the healthcare field, I intend to look at the effects of ionizing radiation, and how it works, but also trying to make a fully functioning (semi-portable) x-ray machine following something similar to https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... p083.shtml.

My question currently is, is there a way that something like this could possibly be made into a small, compact, and portable machine that could be used in rural parts of the world? If so, would anyone be able to help me create something of the sort? Also, I am curious to know how I could produce the image without a film, I read somewhere there is some material that will fluoresce green when hit by ionizing radiation. Any assistance in this project would be beyond helpful.

I have not yet started this, and have not yet had approval, before I seek approval, I must first make sure that it is do-able. We have a 6 week period beginning on Monday, April the 3rd.
I also (likely) have access to electric engineers and health care providers if there is any information that cannot be provided here.
Thanks all! :)
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Radiation project help

Post by tdaly »

Hi bcrary3,

Welcome to the Ask an Expert forums! Just as an aside, you can expect an Expert to respond to your question within about ~1 day. These forums aren't like a chat room where someone is always online to answer your questions as you post them. Experts log in, see what has been posted within the past day or two, and then respond. So, we ask that you don't post the same question multiple times - we'll see your first post and respond to that one :)

If you have an engineer that can help you in-person, that will probably be the most helpful way for you to get help from a mentor. If your mentor can be there in-person, it is much easier to help you build something. But, if you don't have someone where you live who can help you, we will do our best to help you through these Forums.

Based on your post, I could see you taking this project in a couple of different directions. First, you could do a science experiment, where the focus is not so much on building the source itself but on studying some variable. Or, you could do an engineering project where the whole goal is to miniaturize the x-ray source. If you decide to go with the second option, you should take a look at the Engineering Project Guide to help you structure your project: https://www.sciencebuddies.org/science- ... uide.shtml.

Also, please remember that ionizing radiation is hazardous. You'll want to make sure that everything is properly shielded as you work on your project, and you will probably need special approval from whoever is organizing your science event.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades 9-12: Physical Science”