Make Your Own Markers/technical difficulties

Ask questions about projects relating to: aerodynamics or hydrodynamics, astronomy, chemistry, electricity, electronics, physics, or engineering

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger, bfinio, MadelineB, Moderators

eddiejapan008
Project Question: The project is make your own markers. The 1/2 inch cotton cording will not fit through a typical drinking straw. What is the best way to accomplish this part? We haven't been able to find wider drinking straws.
Project Due Date: 3-13-2014
Project Status: I am conducting my experiment

Make Your Own Markers/technical difficulties

Post by eddiejapan008 »

Hi, We are trying to do the 'Make Your Own Markers' project. We can't get the 1/2 inch cotton cording through the drinking straw. A typical drinking straw is simply too narrow to accommodate the 1/2 cording. Has anyone done this project and run into this problem? Thanks!
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Make Your Own Markers/technical difficulties

Post by tdaly »

Hi eddiejapan008,

Have you tried using one of the larger straws that are often served with milkshakes (or other thick drinks) or bubble tea? I suspect that using one of these large diameter straws will solve your problem. You will want the cord to fit tightly into the straw so that you can use the marker, so you might look for a straw that is slightly (but only slightly) narrower than 1/2" diameter. Let us know if this doesn't solve your problem, and we'll do some more brainstorming.
All the best,
Terik

Return to “Grades K-5: Physical Science”