Creating a graph with data-4th grade science project

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

LGO
Project Question: Topic - Do all objects fall at the same speed?
We are trying to create a simple graph to reflect the items my son dropped and how long it took them to reach the ground. He is in 4th grade. Do you have recommendations? I have tried to use excel but the information is not graphing correctly. Thanks!
Project Due Date: May 9th
Project Status: I am finished with my experiment and analyzing the data

Creating a graph with data-4th grade science project

Post by LGO »

My question is: Do all objects fall to the ground at the same speed?
I dropped multiple objects from the same height and timed how long it took for them to reach the ground. I want to create a graph with the results (object/time it took to reach the ground), but after I input all of the information on an excel spreadsheet (2007), the graph did not come out right. I tried multiple times and it didn't work. Can you help me please?
k4gfwgerry
Former Expert
Occupation: Retired Electronics Engineer from Motorola Solutions
Project Question: n/a
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Creating a graph with data-4th grade science project

Post by k4gfwgerry »

It would be helpful to get more information regarding what about the Excel graph is not right. I would suggest using a bar graph with the X axis being the different objects and the Y axis being the time to fall to the ground. Keep in mind that objects with a lot of wind resistance (e.g. feathers) are not going to fall as fast, a fact that will be important as you analyze your data. I hope that helps.
Gerry Gruenbaum
Science Buddies "Ask an Expert" Volunteer

Return to “Grades K-5: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”