Honey Vs Turmeric, which kills more bacteria?

AFTER you've done your research and concluded your experiments, it is time to prepare for the science fair. Ask specific questions about preparing for a science fair, including how to set up your display board, how to prepare a presentation, etc. (Please post questions about selecting a project or conducting your experiment by posting in the appropriate "area of science" forum.)

Moderators: kgudger, Moderators

ssmutyala
Project Question: Which kills more bacteria, honey or turmeric? Is my science fair question.

I need to create solutions for Turmeric, honey and a antibiotic tablet. I am thinking to make 250mg/1 liter. Can I use water for the solution and does this affects the antibacterial effects of the property?
Project Due Date: January 5th 2015
Project Status: I am conducting my research

Honey Vs Turmeric, which kills more bacteria?

Post by ssmutyala »

I need to make concentrations of honey, turmeric and an antibiotic tablet. I know how to create it for turmeric and the tablet, but I must know how to create it for the honey. For the turmeric and tablet, i will make them into powder and put water in them, measuring the same concentration. But do I do the same for Honey? Or can I use honey directly?
:D Thank you! :D
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Honey Vs Turmeric, which kills more bacteria?

Post by tdaly »

Hi ssmutyala,

It depends what your independent variable is. Are you testing different concentrations of honey, tumeric, and antibiotic? Or are you comparing the three for a single concentration. If you are only using one concentration of honey, tumeric, and antibiotic, then using the honey directly shouldn't be a problem. If you are using different concentrations of each substance, then you could dilute the honey by mixing a certain mass of honey with a particular volume to water.
All the best,
Terik
ssmutyala
Project Question: Which kills more bacteria, honey or turmeric? Is my science fair question.

I need to create solutions for Turmeric, honey and a antibiotic tablet. I am thinking to make 250mg/1 liter. Can I use water for the solution and does this affects the antibacterial effects of the property?

Post by ssmutyala »

Terik,

Thanks for the information.

I used 3 of each same concentration for Turmeric and Antibiotic. 3 of each filter discs in Petri dishes
I used Honey drops on filterdiscs and placed in 3 Petri dishes.
Total I used 9 petri dishes for Turmeri,Honey and Antibiotic.
Is this procedure correct?
Please let me know?

Thanks
ssmutyala
ssmutyala

Post by ssmutyala »

Terik,

Thanks for the information.

I used 3 of each same concentration for Turmeric and Antibiotic. 3 of each filter discs in Petri dishes
I used Honey drops on filterdiscs and placed in 3 Petri dishes.
Total I used 9 petri dishes for Turmeri,Honey and Antibiotic.
Is this procedure correct?
Please let me know?

Thanks
ssmutyala
tdaly
Former Expert
Project Question: N/A
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Post by tdaly »

Hi ssmutyala,

That sounds like a fine procedure. It will allow you to compare the effectiveness of honey, tumeric, and the antibiotic.
All the best,
Terik
ssmutyala

Post by ssmutyala »

What are the variables in this ?
Dependent is growth of inhibition zone.
Independent variables are turmeric, honey
Control
variable is antibiotic? Or baceria
ssmutyala

Post by ssmutyala »

Thanks.

which bacteria is more hazardous : oral or from soil?

which method is better using same concentration or different for honey,turmeric or antibiotics?

Return to “Grades 6-8: Getting Ready for the Science Fair”