Project timing

A forum for educators who are organizing and/or running a school or local science fair, working with in-class science projects or assignments, and other STEM issues.

Moderators: AmyCowen, kgudger

jophillips50
Project Question: Timescale guidance
Project Due Date: n/a
Project Status: Not applicable

Project timing

Post by jophillips50 »

Hi,
I'm unsure of the timing guidelines given. I want to run projects with my class so that they do a new project each half term (approximately every 6 weeks) and they have around 3 hours of timetabled class time a week. So would I go for a month long project, a 2-4 week project, or longer?

Essentially, how many hours of time in school / out of school are assumed in your timing guidelines?
Thanks.
theborg
Project Question: "To explain all nature is too difficult a task for any one man. 'Tis much better to do a little with certainty and leave the rest for others that come after you, than to explain all things by conjecture without making sure of anything." - Sir Isaac Newton
Project Due Date: N/A
Project Status: Not applicable

Re: Project timing

Post by theborg »

jophilips50,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question. As for the project time lines, the projects are not specifically designed to be in class projects or demonstrations. The suggested times is how long a student working on it at home should take to complete the research in preparation for a science fair. Some of the projects require daily measurements or actions that wouldn't be conducive to the classroom. However, many of the projects could be adapted for in class projects, I think if you picked a 2 to 4 week project and modified it to work with in the bounds of your class that you could get a good project that meets your teaching objectives.

our experts can certainly provide advice in this once you settle on a specific project.

Let us know how things work out for you.
Hope this helps.

theborg
----------
Science Buddies science fair guide:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_guide_index.shtml

Science Buddies project ideas:
http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/project_ideas.shtml

Return to “Science Teachers: Fairs, Projects, and General Support”